Campaign Signs Regulations

State highway not to be distributed without permit

No person or government agency, whether federal, state, or county, shall, in manner or purpose do any of the following acts without a written permit from the director of transportation or the director’s authorized representative: [p]lace, erect, leave, or store any structure, motor or other vehicle equipment, or any other object wholly or partially within the right-of-way of any state highway; provided that this paragraph shall not apply to the holding or displaying of movable signs, for the purpose of carrying on political activities (HRS §264-6).

Control of Outdoor Advertising

No person shall erect or maintain any outdoor advertising outside the right of way boundary and  visible from the main-traveled way of any federal-aid or state highway within the State, except for the following:

  • Directional and other official signs and notices;
  • Signs, displays, and devices advertising the sale or lease of the property upon which they are located;
  • Signs, displays, and devices advertising activities conducted on the property upon which they are located; and
  • Signs lawfully in existence on October 22, 1965 that have been determined as landmark signs (HRS §264-72).

Where and When Permitted

Signs urging voters to vote for or against any person  or issue, may be erected, maintained, and  used, except where contrary to or prohibited by law (HRS §445-112).  

A prior version of this law prohibited the posting  of such signs more than forty-five (45) days prior to an election. However, it was deemed unconstitutional and unenforceable by the Attorney General. As such, it was subsequently amended to its current form which has no such prohibition. Att. Gen. Op. 96-4 & Act 194, SLH 2003. 

Regulation by counties

Except for outdoor advertising devices authorized under section 445-112 (16) and (17), the several counties may adopt ordinances regulating billboards and outdoor advertising devices not prohibited by section 445-111 to 445-121.

If you require special assistance (i.e. large print, taped materials, etc.) contact the Office of Elections at 453-VOTE (8683).

Last Updated on March 1, 2022